The boiler is essentially a closed vessel inside which water is stored. Fuel (generally coal) is bunt in a furnace and hot gasses are produced. These hot gasses come in contact with water vessel where the heat of these hot gases transfer to the water and consequently steam is produced in the boiler.
Then this steam is piped to the turbine of thermal power plant. There are many different types of boiler utilized for different purposes like running a production unit, sanitizing some area, sterilizing equipment, to warm up the surroundings etc.
Steam boiler is an essential part of thermal power plant.
Purpose of Steam Boilers
- For generating power in steam engines or steam turbines
- In process industries for various processes.
- For heating the buildings in cold weather and for producing hot water for hot water supply.
Primary requirements of a Steam Boiler
- The water must be contained safely
- The steam boiler in Chennai must be safely delivered in the desired condition (as regards its pressure, temperature, quality and a required rate